Sunday, February 21, 2016

Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships: Novak Djokovic feels he has many years in front of him


Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships: Novak Djokovic feels he has many years in front of him

World number one not surprised by his domination of the sport, but won’t rest on his laurels
Image Credit: Clint Egbert/Gulf News
Novak Djokovic during an interview at a press meet in the Jumeriah Creekside Hotel on 21st February, 2016.
Gulf News
Dubai: Novak Djokovic has maintained his remorseless supremacy of tennis through an increasingly unforgiving schedule, but even the super-fit Serb needs a break.
As such, three weeks off after winning his 11th grand slam title at last month’s Australian Open was most welcome for Djokovic, as he prepares for this week’s Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.
But while a rare hiatus was positive news for the world number one, a rejuvenated Djokovic is an ominous proposition for his rivals – particularly given the supreme confidence he exuded on Sunday.
“Those three weeks feel like they were more,” he said at the Jumeirah Creekside Hotel ahead of his first-round match at the Dubai Tennis Stadium against Spanish veteran Tommy Robredo at 7pm on Monday. “I am eager to come back and am eager to compete. I miss tennis.
“I’ve been spending a lot of time with my wife [Jelena] and my child [Stefan], leaving my racket on the side. I think it’s important to balance [your life], in order to recharge and gain that freshness that you need to continue to play at a high level and compete here in Dubai and in what’s coming after Dubai.”
Is he surprised by his dominance, after emerging from the shadows of Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal in recent years?
“I have to be honest, it doesn’t surprise me,” replied Djokovic, who is the number one seed here after the defending champion, and record seven-time winner, Roger Federer, withdrew after undergoing knee surgery. “I expect a lot from myself and I put a lot of dedication into every aspect of the sport in order to get the results I am getting.
“I try to approach each tournament optimistically. I believe I can win every match that I play against anybody on any surface.
“And I think the tournaments and results that I’ve had give me enough reason to be optimistic.”
Djokovic is not contemplating a fantastic future where he could surpass Federer’s record of 17 grand slams, preferring instead to focus on his glorious present.
“I know that after winning 11 grand slams, people start talking about the all-time greats and me coming closer to them. But I would like to follow the same approach and philosophy of being in the present and focusing only on the next tournament.
“I feel like I have a chance to do more and do well. I feel like I have many years in front of me.”
Despite his imperious self-belief, the four-time Dubai champion – he last triumphed here three years ago – insists he will not become complacent.
“I have lots of respect for other players. I know I am not the only one that wants to be the best in the world.”
The 28-year-old particularly welcomes the emergence of three tyros – Nick Kyrgios, Borna Coric and Alexander Zverev.
“What I like to see in young players that are coming up and showing some great skills and quality of tennis and challenging the best player in the world, is confidence in their body language and also their character. Guys like Kyrgios, Zverev and Coric, all the eyes of the tennis world are directed to them.
“There’s a lot of expectation and a lot of pressure. But all those three guys are showing the confidence that they belong to the court and all three of them have the potential to be in the top 10.”
The prodigious young brigade’s time may come, but the rarefied realms reached by Djokovic may forever remain out of sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment